By Diana Muir, UJV Advisor
Vedema, a Luxury Collection Resort, Santorini
- How to get there? Located in a town where locals actually live, this hotel has a completely different feel because it is in a hilltop village. Highly recommend renting a car to get around as the tourist destinations such as Oia, Fira, beaches and Akrotiri are about 20 min by car away. You can also take the fantastic hiking trail to Oia.
- Overall Experience: Minimalistic, feels like you live in a village. Food at the restaurant was good. Buffet breakfast, surrounded by vineyards and farmland. Inspired by and built around the 400-year-old winery that dominates the heart of the property, Private beach club access on the blank sand beach of Istoria, a Member of Design Hotels.
- Highlight of Hotel: Location for a different type of experience, tucked away in the Medieval Villiage of Meg
- Who is the property for? Best for families.
- Why should TA’s recommend this property? As a destination most hotels that overlook caldera will not allow kids. And those towns (Oia and Fira) are overrun with tourists. This is a more authentic hilltop village experience. Also the location is in the middle of all the sites (distance wise), and they will park your car (a must) making it a great base to explore all that Santorini has to offer. Most that stay in Oia for example don’t explore the many different sides that Santorini has to offer.
Istoria, a Member of Design Hotels, Santorini
- How to get there? Highly recommend renting a car to get around as the tourist destinations such as Oia, Fira, beaches and Akrotiri (archeological site of a real functioning town covered by Volcanic ash in 1620 BC) are about 20-40 min by car away.
- Overall Experience: Minimalistic, intimate and warm. Used to be a horse farm of the owner. Get the rooms with a plunge pool. The food at the restaurant was excellent. Ala carte breakfast with FRESH BAKED bread and pastries.
- Highlight of Hotel: Great relaxed but sophisticated vibe. Located across the street from a black sand beach. Loved that we could walk to restaurants, and outdoor beach club and lounges.
- Who is the property for? Mostly couples, but good for families as well.
- Why should TA’s recommend this property? This is a beach town, and hotel is located across the street from a black sand beach with their own loungers, umbrellas and service. Great for hot summer months which gives clients the ability to enjoy their days on the beach. Better yet half day site-seeing to so many sites and the other half lounging on the beach. As a destination most hotels that overlook caldera will not allow kids; and those towns (Oia and Fira) are overrun with tourists. SO families will love the access to the ocean and the families walking along the street to the other restaurants. Also a great base to explore all that Santorini has to offer. This would be a great way to combine itineraries at more than one hotel on the island.
Mystique, a Luxury Collection Resort, Santorini
- How to get there? Car transfer. Don’t need a car while staying here as it’s located on the Caldera side and parking is limited.
- Overall Experience: In Oia steps down to the hotel on uneven walkway (no heels). Few meters away from the iconic blue domed St. Georgios church once back on the main road.
- Highlight of Hotel: Amazing restaurant experience with exceptional food and drop dead views.
- Who is the property for? Couples, friends (rooms only have queen or king rooms) and families with older kids.
- Why should TA’s recommend this property? Many rooms are within the iconic caves painted white. All with views of the Caldera, some with private pools. Contemporary and minimalistic décor with unique wood pieces.